June 11, 2006

Excerpts from Elie Wiesel's speech at the Dartmouth Commencement 2006 this morning. Just some quick notes I took...***very quick notes and he said so much more...
does anyone know of a way to get the speech in it's entirety?


Many of his sentences started with,
"My young friends..."

"My young friends,
Commencement is more than a ceremony...it represents a watershed in your life.

"This is the only world we have."

"Wherever life takes you, it is what you have received here....
from your teachers...
do not forget them."

"I have learned...my humanity is defined by yours."

"I have learned respect for your freedom, and mine, and those who have none."

"I have learned the sublime art of questioning."

"I have learned education can be frail when they are void of moral convictions."

"I have learned that racism is stupid."

"I have witnessed..."

"An enemy of one people is the enemy of all people."

"Are we doing enough?"

"Respect to learn about others for what they are
instead of what they are not."

"Learning is a passion that must not diminish through the years."

"Remember one person's courage can make a difference."

"My young friends.
Let's celebrate today.
and man's power to transcend tragedy...

He ended the speech with this sentence...

"My Young Friends...
There are people who need you
and (pause)
they are waiting for you."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is the whole thing.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2006/06/11a.html

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home